Saturday 12 March 2011

Yo Hey Ba Yo!

Haven't written anything in a while. Sorry.

Been running back and forth between national parks and Can Tho, we went to a remote village called Long Hoa last week.

Rice fields for miles, looked like the vietnam you see in textbooks. It was amazing.

Gonna post some pictures up later...

o wait stole some from my friends blog. HA!





Yes I touched it, Yes, It pinched me. Shortly after this we ate live shrimp from the pond.




So that's the bathroom in the back of the boat. It's just a hole in the ground that goes straight into the water. Sometimes I like to think of myself as the Christopher Colombus of Crap, The Sir Francis Drake of Dump, The Ferdinand Magellan of Fecal Matter... you get the point




This is gordon, whose blog is responsible for all of these pictures. He is a handsome devil, but too his right is the real man behind our stay in Long Hoa. His name is Mr. Work, and he does work. On the bottle.

We drank with him at dinner and then lunch the following day. Drinking in vietnam is much more communal than in the U.S. You usually split a drink of rice wine 50-50 with the person of your choice across the table. The shots go around the table until it comes back to the originator.

Mr. Work made me take so many shots with him at dinner that I vomited 4 times. Once accidentally on his grandfathers grave. Seriously, look at him, how could you say no to that face?

The lunch drinking session before we left. I could barely walk back to the boat after and little did I know; waiting for me on that fateful ride. Like the boatman of ancient greek mythology was Mr. Work.

With another bottle of rum

Tommorow we go to Tram Chim national park where we have a mandatory drinking session with park staff on the second night. hopefully I won't throw up on anyones ancestor's this time.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Adam; Is this an academic or alcohol drinking tour of Vietnam? Nice hat, you look good in yellow. Say hi to Mr Work, my kind of guy. D & O in MV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ade, you sound like you are really getting into the culture in Viet Nam, which seem to include the customary drinking as a community.

    I do like the communal eating at the table, it looks like a lot of lively conversations and laughter, it made me smile and you are making them laugh. You look really good honey, slim and trim, keeping the body and soul in motion.

    Sarah is working at a sustainable farm right now for spring break, it has been a lot of hard work, but she is learning a lot.

    I am busy with school and teaching, thinking of you.

    I love the blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ade,

    WHAT A WILD RIDE YOU ARE ON! Your blog is such a giggle. I love it. You are very fashion forward with the yellow glow like hat! It seems it may be an indicator that the sun is searing your cute little head. I love that you are having such an exchange of cultures and with a family . No five star hotel for you. You will have such a greater appreciation of the culture than most who visit the country. I could never make it .... if only because of the bathroom conditions. I hope that you are not eating the fish on the same stream. Oh well..... don't even want to go there. I guess it is a classic case of reuse, recycle, reknew.... Keep blogging... enjoy every adventure and stay safe.... love to you. trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ade,

    this is hella weird but i showed a couple of my friends your blog and one of them screamed because she not only knew him but also had a crush on him... so does another one of my friends... so how strange is that he goes to skidmore and hes on this trip with you? sooo cool

    ReplyDelete