Saturday 19 February 2011

Cai Rang


(Guava)



Yesterday we hit the floating markets of Cai Rang. They where so cool, boats everywhere with the freshest pineapple, coconuts, guava, spinach, and a couple things that I didn't recognize. Stay tuned for more pictures.

To sell their product, the smaller boats weave in and out of the bigger ones and grasp ahold of the sides. You can see what everyone is selling easily: Vietnamese Traders place their item up on large sticks in the back of the boat, visible to the entire market.






(Baskets)








About the dragon eye. My Vietnamese friend whose name I can't pronounce told me the story of the eyes; which are posted on every ship front. He said they are there to ward off the Leviathon, a creature the Vietnamese think is alive and swimming in the waters off Can Tho. It makes sense because I saw some really really big catfish when I threw pellets in the water earlier.



(group shot)


(ya she's got a cell phone)


5 comments:

  1. Great pics.

    I have seen those eyes painted on boats in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ade, I love the group picture and the floating grocery boats and the Mekong eyes or is it the dragon eyes on the boats? My Vietnamese friend told me that according to the ancient myth the Vietnamese people feel that they are descended from a dragon and a fairy.

    The dragon brings rain, essential for agriculture and it is the representation of the universe. Pretty cool.

    I love to see you being so adventurous. I am crazy with the paper Plato's existence of the soul. I miss our discussions.

    Love you, It makes me really happy to look at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam: mango gmail is down. Check cu email address for important email. Is mike ok in Christ Church NZ, big quake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darling! Love the group image and all the images. I too was on a boat through the floating markets. A real treat. Love your stories, they are very very funny. They make my day. Your blog makes me miss Vietnam very much. Wait until you go to Hoi An. You will have so much fun. And get cloths made there at the tailors. Very good prices for tailor made cloths.
    I love you lots and bunches. Look forward to the next installation.

    ReplyDelete